Who can avail the solar rooftop subsidy in India?
Central financial assistance (CFA or subsidy) is available for residential sector grid-connected solar rooftop projects only. For other sectors e.g., Govt., institutional, social, commercial, industrial etc. CFA is not available.
To avail solar subsidy, consumers need to get the systems installed only through the empanelled vendors (by DISCOMs).
Some common instances when Subsidy under Rooftop Solar (RTS) Ph-II programme is not applicable:
- If RTS plants are installed by the such Vendors who are not empanelled by the DISCOMs.
- If RTS plants have been installed before the launching of the scheme.
- If RTS plants are installed in any consumer category other than Residential.
How much subsidy is available in India for installing Grid Connected Solar Rooftop Systems?
Central Financial Assistance (CFA)/ Central Government Subsidy for rooftop solar plant installed by a residential consumer is common for the entire country under the simplified procedure, which is as under:
|i.||Individual Households –|
|Plant Capacity||Applicable Subsidy|
|Up to 3 kW||Rs. 14588/- per kW|
|Above 3 kW and up to 10 kW||Rs. 14588/- per kW for first 3 kW and thereafter Rs. 7294/- per kW|
|Above 10 kW||Rs. 94822/- fixed|
|ii.||Resident Welfare Associations/Group Housing Societies (RWA/GHS) – Rs. 7294/kW for common facilities up to 500 kWp @ 10 kWp per house.|
Illustration for calculation of central Government subsidy:
|Rooftop Solar System Capacity (Lowest of total solar module capacity or solar inverter capacity/ capacity approved by DISCOM)||Applicable Subsidy|
|2.5 kW||Rs. 14588/- * 2.5 = Rs. 36,470/-|
|3 kW||Rs. 14588/- * 3 = Rs. 43,764/-|
|4 kW||Rs. 14588/- * 3 + Rs. 7294/- * 1 = Rs. 51,058/-|
|6.5 kW||Rs. 14588/- * 3 + Rs. 7294/- * 3.5 = Rs. 69,293/-|
|10 kW||Rs. 94822/-|
|15 kW||Rs. 94822/-|
Separate from the above criteria, all residential consumers of the states/UTs – Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, UT of Jammu & Kashmir, Ladakh, Lakshadweep, and Andaman & Nicobar Islands, applying for installation of rooftop solar on the National Portal for Rooftop Solar will be eligible to get higher CFA as mentioned below:
|1.||Individual Households – (special states)|
|Plant Capacity||Applicable Subsidy|
|Up to 3 kW||Rs. 17662/- per kW|
|Above 3 kW and up to 10 kW||Rs. 17662/- per kW for first 3 kW and thereafter Rs. 8831/- per kW|
|Above 10 kW||Rs. 1,14,803/- fixed|
|2.||Resident Welfare Associations/Group Housing Societies (RWA/GHS) – Rs. 8831/kW for common facilities up to 500 kWp @ 10 kWp per house.|
- Central Financial Assistance (CFA) is provided on the module capacity or inverter capacity whichever is lower.
- For availing CFA, the PV module and cell shall be manufactured in India only.
How to apply for a solar rooftop subsidy?
National Portal (https://solarrooftop.gov.in/) for Rooftop Solar was launched on 30.7.2022. On the National Portal any residential consumer from any part of country can apply for installation of RTS and get CFA directly in his/her bank account. All the steps starting from application to release of CFA can be monitored by consumer online on the Portal.
The interested beneficiary may install the solar rooftop systems through project developers/system integrators/manufactures etc. after taking necessary approval from DISCOMs within the capacity limit as laid down in the order of respective State Electricity Regulatory Commission/Joint Electricity Regulatory Commission of the respective States/UTs.
Procedure for the consumers to install Rooftop Solar and avail subsidy –
- Register at National Portal www.solarrooftop.gov.in and submit the application. At the time of application, the beneficiary will be informed about the complete process and subsidy amount that can be availed for the installation of a rooftop solar plant.
- The application will be forwarded online to the concerned DISCOM for issuance of technical feasibility. The DISCOM will issue technical feasibility within next 15 days.
- After issuance of technical feasibility, the beneficiary can install the rooftop solar plant through any of the registered vendors. List of registered vendors will be displayed on the portal.
- After the installation of the rooftop solar plant, the beneficiary will submit plant details on the portal and apply for net metering. The application for net metering will be forwarded online to the concerned DISCOM.
- Upon installation of the net meter and successful inspection of the plant, commissioning certificate would be generated online by DISCOM.
- Once the commissioning certificate has been received, the beneficiary will submit bank account details on the portal along with copy of canceled cheque.
When will you get the Solar Subsidy?
Central government subsidy will be credited directly into the bank account of the beneficiary within 30 working days of receipt of the bank account details and uploading of all necessary documents.
- What are the documents/information required for online application for solar rooftop subsidy?
- Electricity connection number / Consumer number (mentioned in electricity bill), email id and mobile number.
- copy of the latest electricity bill.
- bank details and a copy of the canceled cheque.
- Approved/Empanelled vendors under solar rooftop subsidy scheme
- Vendors willing to register/empanel themselves in the Programme under simplified procedure may get themselves registered with the consumers’ DISCOM by submitting an application along with a declaration (as per Annexure) and depositing a PBG of Rs. 2,50,000/- (Rupees Two Lakh Fifty Thousand only) valid for at least five years.
- The vendors can submit the application at the Division/Circle level and the name of the vendor will be included in the list of registered/empanelled vendors within a period of one month from the date of submission of the application.
- Registration/empanelment of vendors will be valid initially for one year from the date of empanelment and can be renewed thereafter on yearly basis.
- The DISCOM will notify the registered/empanelled vendors on its website for information of residential consumers and update the same every month.
- The registered/empanelled vendor selected by the beneficiaries will conduct the physical survey to assess the RTS capacity and guide the beneficiary on the RTS capacity that can be installed in the beneficiary’s premises considering technical and financial parameters.
- The vendor shall also provide assistance to the beneficiary in getting necessary approvals, installing the net-meter and facilitating inspection by the DISCOM.
Where to apply for solar subsidy online?
A consumer can apply online at National Portal www.solarrooftop.gov.in.
For more details read this blog: ROOFTOP SOLAR SUBSIDY (DBT SCHEME) BY MNRE NATIONAL PORTAL STEP-BY-STEP PROCESS
MNRE Subsidy circular can be accessed at https://mnre.gov.in/img/documents/uploads/file_f-1674816949680.pdf
- The updated list of Approved List of Models and Manufacturers (ALMM) can be accessed at https://mnre.gov.in/img/documents/uploads/file_f-1677495693355.pdf
- Links for the list of approved/empanelled vendors for some states are provided below:
- Maharashtra https://www.mahadiscom.in/ismart/empanelled_agencies.php.
- Uttar Pradesh https://upnedasolarrooftopportal.com/Approved-Firms.
- Gujarat https://suryagujarat.guvnl.com/documents/2020/InstallerList_GUVNL%20for%20(2020-21).pdf
- Telangana https://tsredco.telangana.gov.in/Updates_2021/Empanel-List-13-04-2022.pdf
- Rajasthan http://rreclmis.energy.rajasthan.gov.in/Vendor/AllVendorlist.aspx?Appid=2
Compiled by Mayank Mishra,